When our teeth are not properly aligned and appear crooked, they can take away from the beauty of our smile. It is also harder to clean teeth when they are crooked, so the potential of getting the periodontal disease and tooth decay can be increased because of improper oral hygiene. Periodontal disease causes damage to the gums and bones in our mouth, which eventually leads to tooth loss.
As a means of saving crooked teeth, braces are great for realignment. But many people do not want braces because they have heard about or know someone who has had traditional braces. They have left feedback that the experience was painful and unsightly to those who wanted to maintain their nice smile during the realignment process.
Invisible braces like Invisalignwere created to allow people to have braces without the unsightly and painful side effects. The system uses advanced technology to craft an economical dental product that drastically reduces the pain and materials used to help realign your teeth.
The invisible braces are actually a sequence of aligners (removable mouth trays) that are made with 3-D computer technology. They are made of durable plastic, and each set of aligners is designed to progressively shift your crooked teeth back into their intended location. Therefore, each set of aligners is moulded to represent the desired position where the teeth will move for that stage.
Better by Comparison
Unlike traditional braces, you won’t have to deal with the pain of having wires and metal brackets. All you have to do is insert a new set of aligners every two weeks until you reach the final stage of your treatment. The aligners work by putting a specified amount of pressure on your teeth to move them slowly but progressively. Every set of aligners is different from the previous one because the aligner is moulded to represent the next shift of your teeth for that timeframe. Therefore, only the teeth specified for that two-week period are focused on moving (millimetre by millimetre).
Here are some of the benefits you can expect when using invisible braces.
- Eating Freedom: Because the aligners are removable, you can eat and drink what you like. Just remove your aligners, and you are free to eat and drink without any restrictions.
- Better Smile: There’s no secret that invisible braces look better than traditional braces. Most people may not even realize you are wearing braces.
- Less Pain: The sharp and sometimes pointy edges of some of the materials used for traditional braces can make gums sore. Thanks to the capability to remove the aligners, invisible braces prove to be a lot more comfortable than traditional braces.
- Healthier Reaction: You can avoid allergies to the metal brackets and the elastic bands when using Invisalign.
- Shorter Treatment Time: Some Invisalign treatments take no more than a year to realign your teeth, but traditional braces can be between 2 – 5 years.
- No Surprises: Thanks to each aligner being made prior to initial insertion via computer technology, the patient can see their treatment plan from start to finish. The number of aligners will automatically tell how long the braces will be worn. With metal braces, sometimes there are unexpected modifications, and the predicted duration of wear can change.